Featured Articles  
     
   
     
 
OUR SPONSORS
 
READ MORE CONTENT
I am free
 
Stonehouse Hotel at QC
 
Ondoy was no match
for Eli and KY
 
Living in Aqua
 
Ferrari Series
 

Asia’s “Golden Girl of Jazz” OLIVIA!

OLIVIA started her career at the age of fifteen, then as fledgling band vocalist before her interest in Jazz deepened and switched as a soloist in the hotel lounge scene. She was the first ever Filipino awardee at the Astana Song Festival in Russia where she took home the award for best performance. She was also the youngest interpreter at the Metropop competition when she was just sixteen. Coming from a deeply musical family, the singer is daughter to Brenda Ponce-Enrile Tirona, the other half of the Tirona Sisters that reigned supreme in the lounge scene during the 70s. Her grandfather is renowned Filipino baritone, orchestra conductor Alberto Tirona, and grand daughter to singing celebrity Armida Siguion-Reyna and politician Juan Ponce Enrile.

In 2007, OLIVIA released her debut album entitled "Gentle Jazz" under Ivory Music. Practically a "Best-Of-Pop-Jazz" kind of album, "Gentle Jazz" is a 15 track CD that includes the songs Oh Lori, All Behind Us Now, The Real Thing, Sweet Baby, The Way You Look Tonight, Sway, Loving You, My Cherie Amour, Just The Two Of Us, Say You Love Me and Love Is Answer. OLIVIA also roots herself in OPM with a reworking of the songs You and Laging Kapiling and a sample of her songwriting with Someday We Will Find Love.

Set to reintroduce Manila to the soothing sounds of Jazz, OLIVIA, who just turned 20 this year is already a seasoned performer of the most luxurious hotels around and has recently garnered nominations as Best New Female Performer and Best New Lounge Performer in Hotels, Music Lounges & Bars at the 2008 AWIT Awards and 2008 ALIW Awards respectively. With her remarkable achievements in the arts over the years, indeed OLIVIA is ready for a bigger stage to showcase her singing prowess. In fact, she just had her first major concert entitled "OLIVIA... Colors of Jazz: A Big Band Concert!" with special guest The CompanY (the country’s premiere vocal ensemble) held at The Captain’s Bar, Mandarin Oriental Manila plus her recently concluded Christmas concert, also with The Company, at Teatrino. And this month of Hearts, fans should look forward to her performance with the one and only Rex Smith!



What did you do in 2008 that you've never done before?

I got more control over my creative work! I got to travel more, and do more shows. 2008 was a very busy year, too, for the promotion of my album, 'Gentle Jazz', so it was pretty tiring, too.

What countries did you visit?

Malaysia, China, Japan, Singapore and Hong Kong -- where I got to perform, too!

What concerts/shows did you go to?

I'm so trying my best to learn not to be so much of a home buddy! I seldom go to shows unless it's for a friend, or when I was personally invited. Most of the time, I go watch their concert DVDs though, run through them and make sure I congratulate a friend for having a successful show.

What was your biggest achievement of the year?

I think mainly it's the recognition I got from the major music award-giving bodies. I would say winning the Asian Entertainment Award as Asia's Best New Jazz Artist; and of course my win at both Aliw Awards (Best Female Performer in Hotels, Music Lounges and Bars) and Awit Awards (Best New Female Artist, People's Choice Award).

What has been your favorite moment?

I think my most favorite moment for the year 2008 was the moment I accepted the awards and had a good look at it and think, “Wow! This is the fruit of my hard work!”; just to see an award at the end of the day gets you moving. The promotion schedule for "Gentle Jazz" was backbreaking. I also enjoyed participating and getting to meet other GREAT musicians at The 4th Backdoor Arts & Music Festival where my performance got a lot of rave reviews – it was amazing, one of my most memorable gigs in 2008!

Where did most of your savings go?

My savings would go to 'savings', basically. Haha! If I don't save it, I usually reward myself with some expensive make-up -- I love make-up.

What was the best thing you bought?

I bought another car this year, a Toyota Innova... I needed a bigger one to bring along all my stuff to my shows, any artist would know that's an all-important necessity.

What's something you learned about yourself?

I learned that I'm giving, I'm secure and I'm happy. I take things one day at a time, and I try to be faithful and patient. There are certain negative things you see in yourself, too, that's part of the learning. But mostly it's focusing on the positive.

What/Who was your greatest musical discovery?

It would be winding up playing the piano again, getting back to work, writing some songs. It relaxes me, takes time off from the work involved with music. It's just like putting you back in perspective as an artist -- and not get too involved in the business aspect or the stresses involved with the marketing or the selling of the records, whatsoever. It's like going back to what you know best. And yes, Emmy Rossum’s “Inside Out” album!

What political issue stirred you the most?

I'm not a very political person. I think a lot of people are just too 'politically righteous' in this country, and though that may be an honest intent, it just makes everything much more complicated for the rightful people to do their jobs. I do my best to take a moment time to time and reflect what I can do for others, I think that's a good step.

Best of 2008!

Best Film of the Year: Wanted starring Angelina Jolie (Love her!)
Best TV Show of the Year: America's Next Top Model
Best Song of the Year: I can cover my eyes and take any pick from Bamboo's album
Best Album of the Year: Hard to say!


Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2008:

Learn what you do best, love what you do best, God will do the rest.

Quote a song lyric that sums up your year:

I may not remember the exact lines but it has to come from that Christmas song, "Count Your Blessings". I think it’s a beautifully-written song, very positive. This year was full of them.

Count your blessings
Name them one by one
Count your blessings
See what God has done
Count your blessings
Name them one by one
Count your many blessings
See what God has done


What do you look forward to most about 2009?

I would definitely look forward to going back to the studio, checking out the material, working with amazing musicians. It's pretty exciting. I really look forward to the follow-up to "Gentle Jazz", get fans worked up a bit! I hope they would like it.

Any BIG plans on your musical career this year?

That's a surprise!

Do you have a New Year's Resolution?

Not loving my dogs so much! I went to the veterinarian and read some books and apparently it's not nice to 'baby' them all the time. So yes, I wanna be the master they wanna look up to.





















Photographers: PAUL MARTIN, M.D. and MAXI ADRIAN SAN AGUSTIN
Make-up: KRIS BACANI
Styling: ROXY BAGANO
Interview: MJ JUCO
Model: PHILIPPINES' "GOLDEN GIRL OF JAZZ" OLIVIA
Location: THE HEIRLOOM, MANILA

No comments:

Post a Comment