Featured Articles  
     
   
     
 
OUR SPONSORS
 
READ MORE CONTENT
I am free
 
Stonehouse Hotel at QC
 
Ondoy was no match
for Eli and KY
 
Living in Aqua
 
Ferrari Series
 

Up Close with Sitti

Interview by mJ Juco of TangerineSkies Artist PR & Entertainment Gateway

Introduction by Jeffrey Brian Salindong


She burst into the music scene with an OPM song ‘Para Sa Akin’ with a Bossa Nova twist. One couldn’t imagine that the sound she brings would not only make history and make a mark. You would think everyone would have moved on to other genres, or so you think. Her two albums Café Bossa and My Bossanova still sitting strong on Odyssey’s Top 20 album sales for the past 6 months. For this young lady that’s a feat, and oh what a treat, as she gracefully covers our very 1st Edition of ICON.

It has been more than two years since her remarkable impact on the local music scene, and yet Sitti has remained at the helm of the genre she elegantly rekindled in the consciousness of an ever discerning audience that has, time and again, seen every musical trend come, go, and as if on cue, resurface with much fanfare to boot.

Heralded as the "Queen of Bossa Nova", a title she timidly brushes aside, and instead humbly acknowledges that it was both impeccable timing and opportunity that made her who she is --- a successful torchbearer for bossa nova in the country.


What do you miss most about your private life before your celebrity status?

Nothing much really, except that before I could make a fool of myself and no one would notice. Haha! =)

What do you like most about your public life / celebrity status?

That would have to be the perks! Queuing up wherever, we get preferential treatment, documents we need get expedited. And, making people happy just by having them take photos of you.


How had the past two years in the music biz been? What had been the most challenging or interesting? What are the significant changes in your lifestyle or of the people closest to you?

It has been very, very good for me personally. We've enjoyed a lot of blessings... overall I think there's been a boom in the Pinoy music industry; a lot of new sounds coming up, creativity exploding. It's great! Most challenging for me would be to sustain and improve my sound... myself. It would be quite interesting how we would do that. Significant changes in my lifestyle? I super work and don't get to spend as much time with my family as before. That's it basically.

You revived / reintroduced bossa nova two years ago to be enjoyed by yuppies and especially the younger generation. There were artists who emerged to be a bossa nova artist, too, but no longer active or laid low as of the moment. You're branded as the "Queen of Bossa Nova" today, is this the niche you'll pursue on your singing career?

Bossa nova will always be a part of my music, but I am very much looking forward to introduce other sides of me to the public.

In your opinion, what would make you "sell" in the cutthroat music / singing industry?

I honestly think the factors are timing, aggressive marketing, and for the album to have elements of pop. All that though, is futile without the blessings of the Great Musician.

If you were not a singer or a showbiz person, what career or what profession would you be in now?

I would either be in sales or marketing, or perhaps in education.

What is the purpose of life? And how does love come into the picture with that life's purpose?

I believe the purpose of life in this world is to share one's self, one's talents, capabilities, to hone it, better it, and to serve the world, serve others with it. To live for others... and also, to love. To love another/others more than yourself.

Is there anything else you want to achieve aside from what you are enjoying right now?

I'm basically looking at longevity... and hoping to release more albums, and to grow and improve as an artist. That's really it.

Can you say that you're happy (in general) now?

Yes, I am, very happy... God has been very generous to me. He surrounds me with love. Sometimes I fail to see that, but at the end of the day, my eyes become clear, and I realize how very blessed I am, a lot of reasons to be happy.

What is one inspiring quote that you live by? =)

I do not have any of that, actually... There are two teachings in the Bible that I always take with me. (1) That God loves me unconditionally, will never leave nor forsake me, knows me more than myself, my desires, what's inside my heart. I find a lot of reassurance in that. (2) Not to worry about tomorrow, to have full trust in the Lord, for tomorrow will worry about itself. =D