Featured Articles  
     
   
     
 
OUR SPONSORS
 
READ MORE CONTENT
I am free
 
Stonehouse Hotel at QC
 
Ondoy was no match
for Eli and KY
 
Living in Aqua
 
Ferrari Series
 

SHO-Real by Sho Komori

EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW WITH SHO KOMORI

I'm a struggling artist, some would say "Not because you have a DSLR it means you are photographer", in my case it's different... I'm what friends call a photographer without a camera, a graphic artist with no computer, I had no formal training in photography or editing photos... If there's one thing I do have, It's passion.

What kind of equipment/software do you use?

Some friends are kind enough to lend me their laptop for several days, sometimes even weeks, just for me to be able to edit photos. I use Adobe Photoshop for editing, CS3 and CS4 will do just fine. If I don't have a laptop available, I rent on internet shops and use a portable version of Photoshop on my USB, just so I could edit photos for projects and shoots that I do. I rent a camera as well, and that is a different story... :)

How would rate yourself as graphic artist?

I don't settle for the ordinary... I like turning pictures into works of art. I don't compete with anybody, I compete with myself so... If i were to rate myself, I'd say "I'm getting there", after all it can be rewarding when you always push yourself to do more.

Tell me about your recent works the "Creatures of the Abyss" and "The Realm of Sorrow".

hehehe Creatures of the Abyss, I grew up as a kid watching movies like "The Little Mermaid", "Hook" & "Splash", my sport as a child was swimming and as an Aquarian (Jan22), I feel as though I'm somehow connected with water. I've always been curious on how life would be "Under the Sea". I used to draw a lot and Fishfolks has always been a subject, so when I got in to photography, I said to myself that I'm gonna do a shoot like that someday and so I did.

moving forth...





















The Realm of Sorrow, it's actually based on personal events I encountered in life and love life ;). It's about someone's downfall, It's for people who share the same sentiments with me, It's for those who've been used, betrayed and lost, but more importantly, it's for those people who are now ready to stand up... Those who are fighting to get out of "The Realm of Sorrow".






















What goals have you set for yourself for upcoming years?

After I graduated from High School, I was left with no choice but to work instead of go to college. I've been a call center agent like what most who'd like to earn would do, just last year my Mom, younger brother and I were forced to part ways and live by our own due to financial difficulties. We lost our business, our home and we lost "togetherness". My goal would have to be earning big on something that I love doing and eventually get back what we lost and of course be together again with my family.

Where do you get your inspiration?

I get my inspiration from everything, that's how I want it. When it comes to the artistic side... If i see a rock... I'll create a concept out of that rock and when it comes to the emotional side of inspiration of course I get inspired from those people I love.

How would you want us to call your art?

The word that would best describe my works would have to be "SHO-real", I remember asking Ms. Apy Arevalo about my works when i was starting out as a graphic artist and what she said was...."mysteriously deep, enchantingly imaginative, dark, surrealistic "sho" style =)" and I guess that’s what it is SURREAL in a SHO kind of way :D

What is your dream art assignment?

I dream big... hopefully, someday I'd get to see my work posted on magazine covers and billboards...doing movie posters is something else that would really be lovely!

What is ICON?

An ICON is someone who people would look up to, someone who once struggled to achieve success, someone who is now an inspiration to those who are still struggling, someone who'll help those who got "it" to get to their dreams too. That's what an ICON is to me.